Thursday, June 08, 2006

They'll take away my knitting license

Tonight I decided to do a bit of craft closet organizing since my guys are watching an anime movie. I don't really "get" anime. But the guys like it and they don't insist that I watch it, so I decided to do other stuff. KM, FKM and I all moved into this place at the beginning of March. Two weeks after that was the handfasting. So we unpacked rather fast and a lot of our stuff has never made it out of the boxes. So we've all been slowly working on it the last few weeks, FKM is down to just a box or two left in his room, and KM just has a few odds and ends in a few boxes in the hallway. I've discovered I didn't like how things were arranged originally, so I've been working on that.

Anyway. I was going through my yarn and pulling out the left over balls of things to send to someone who teaches kids how to knit. And I decided to tally up my "stash." Well, I don't they they'll let me play anymore because I don't really have a stash. How sad. I have: 23 balls of kitchen cotton, 2 balls of Red Heart red yarn that I use for Raggedy Anne and Andy hair (I make these for my nieces), 2 skeins of Mandarin Petit 100% cotton that I have no idea why I bought them and 12 skeins of sock yarn, but 8 of those belong to my friend Jamie who I am knitting socks and fingerless gloves for. And by the way Jamie, I'll cast on for your socks just as soon as I can catch you to try on my sock to see if it fits.

So there you have it. I don't have a yarn stash. There's a reason, you see. I've been scrapbooking for 8 years. About 4 years ago I got into all of the really trendy stuff, buying brads, eyelets, ribbon, charms, all kinds of things. Then I realized, I NEVER used it. So I sold almost all of it and went back to the very basic Creative Memories products. I use their stuff almost exclusively. So I decided then and there to not keep a stash of stuff for just in case. That has followed into this knitting obsession. I don't buy yarn just because it's pretty, as much as I would like to. One, I don't have that kind of money, and two, I don't have that kind of storage space. The exception could be sock yarn, I love sock yarn, and I know what I will do with it, I'll make socks. And I love the kitchen cotton, I make face cloths/dish cloths with it and a few of those balls are to make some reusable grocery bags.

I may see Jamie this weekend and if I do, I plan to take some FOs over to use her digital camera and load some pictures on to my blog.

OTN: Second sock for me, Gryffindor scarf for FKM, crochet baby blanket for my friend Amy, I only have 18 more rows to go and it's done, then I can mail it off. Need to finish it this weekend as she is due in July.

No comments: