Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Good friends help you move...

Great friends help you move bodies.

Or at least help you move 1,500 pounds in books, 500 bras, 600 pair of underwear and a LOT of shoes.

I got back from California on Sunday. I helped my friend Jamie move here to the Land of Enchantment. California was pretty, it was overcast on Thursday so my beach pictures should be interesting. I had a good time being with Jamie, we spent a lot of time in the car, which was good to just girl-talk and I got to meet some of her California friends, who were all very nice and welcoming. Her friend Tammy may have the cutest 2 year old, ever. He decided to rename me Nina, we don't know why.

The trip from California to New Mexico was challenging. It took us MUCH longer to load the SUV then we had planned. We were supposed to have a mini-van but ended up with a Jeep Laredo. If we'd had a mini van we wouldn't have had the challenges we had. We finally got everything loaded into the Jeep around 7:30 pm on Friday evening. We were scheduled to leave around noon that day. We had TONS of stuff piled on the top of the car too, 2 canvas car-top carriers, 6 boxes, 2 file boxes and a suitcase. ALL BUNGEE CORDED TO THE TOP. We finally hit the road around 9 pm that night. We were supposed to make it to Williams, Arizona. But around the Arizona state line I told Jamie that I could NOT do another 2 hours and she was having a hard time staying awake too. So we decided to stop in Kingman. Now, it should be noted that when we left Irvine I told Jamie that we couldn't go through drive-thrus or anything because of the stuff on the roof. This is important information. We get off the highway in Kingman and pull into a Motel 6. It's 3 am. I'm REALLY tired because we'd been pulling late nights every night. I completely missed the 6 foot low clearance sign. That's right, I drove the cargo into the motel awning. Then I had to back up. And I ran over a box. I went in to get the room. When I cam back out Jamie told me that one of the car top carriers had torn when it came off the roof. It was still hanging on. Nothing actually came off except one box. I did bungee it really well. So we kind of shoved things back up, grabbed our overnight bag and went to the room. It should be noted that I was nearly hysterical at this point. Jamie was calm. She kept assuring me it was ok. We had no idea what we were going to do. So I made the decision to call KM and have him drive to Kingman to rescue us.

Now KM and I do this silly little thing where we "argue" over who loves who more. He wins. He drove 7 hours to Kingman for me. Hands down, he wins.

So we slept for a bit, got up, called KM and made those arrangements. We knew it would be a while before he could get there so Jamie paid for another night in the hotel. We got the stuff off of the roof and went to get lunch, aloe vera sunburn jell for me and a few other necessities. KM and FKM got there about 12:30 am Jamie and I loaded the stuff from the roof of the jeep into my car and crashed. We got up at 6 and hauled butt back to Albuquerque. After banging on some doors, we were able to get Jamie in to sign her lease and unload the Jeep and return it.

Jamie's container of stuff should arrive on Wednesday and we can unload that. We're both REALLY glad that the ordeal is over.

I got a bad sunburn on Friday while loading up the Jeep. It STILL hurts.

I spent my first Mother's Day on the road, but I did get to see my guys who I missed a whole lot. KM got me a magnetic hematite necklace/bracelet and FKM made me something in school.

I did get to buy 2 skeins of sock yarn at Yarn Lady in California.

OTN: Socks for me, have turned the heel and done gusset decreases on the first sock. Harry Potter scarf for FKM, scarf for Jamie, and a crochet baby blanket for a friend of mine.

No comments: