Tuesday, May 09, 2006

California Dreamin'

“I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day”

This song by The Mamas and The Papas brings back memories of high school pep band. Go Trojan basketball. Yes, we really were the Trojans, and our rival, the Spartans. Really.

But today, today that song makes me think of beaches and oceans. Tomorrow I fly to California to help my friend Jamie move to Albuquerque. Woohoo!! I’ve never been to California. The furthest west I’ve been is Las Vegas. I fly in on Wednesday and we have to get her moving container packed and ready for the moving company to pick it up. Then on Thursday we are doing a lot of site seeing. I forget what all we’re doing. I remember something about Crystal Cove State Park, and Laguna, and a place called Ruby’s.

We head back to Albuquerque later in the week. We’re planning a stop at the Grand Canyon, too. My mom is a little worried about the two of us loose in California. She knows us well. Jamie and I had always talked about a road trip. Now we’re doing it.

I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. I have my directions printed and my packing list. Camera is ready.

And just so you don’t think this is a completely knit-free post here’s a little update. KM wears his knitted socks every week. He swears he loves them and wants me to make him more. This guy is a keeper. Jamie and I are planning to hit Fiber Lady in Laguna and Unravel in Flagstaff. I’m buying sock yarn so I can make California Dreamin’ socks and Arizona socks. I was telling a friend my plan and she asked why didn’t I just buy some socks. She really doesn’t get it, LOL. I bought myself this cute little purse kind of thing that has a drawstring at the thrift store. The plan is to put sock yarn and the current sock project in it, I can hang the drawstring on my wrist and then I can knit while waiting in line. I’m pretty clever sometimes, I saw them for sale in Knitpicks but was sure I could make it cheaper. Then I found that little bag for a $1. SCORE!

OTN: Socks for me in yarn by Opal, a scarf in blue and tan for Jamie, a Gryffindor scarf for FKM for Solstice this year and also a crochet baby blanket for my friend Amy who is having a baby in July.

And now I leave you with The Mamas and The Papas

California Dreamin’ by The Mamas and The Papas

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day

I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Oh, I got down on my knees
And I pretend to pray

You know the preacher likes the cold
He knows I'm gonna stay
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day

If I didn’t tell her
I could leave today
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day(California dreamin')On such a winter's day(California dreamin')On such a winter's day

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Interesting that you should chose one of my all time favorite songs. Oh, and it does rain here. But you can read all about that in my blog.